Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Can't..... breathe......!




There is a very wee vintage shop near my house and it is NEVER open. Lately, there has been a pair of tantalizing kelly green 60s stiletto pumps taunting me from the window of this NEVER OPEN shop.

Then, today, as I made my way to the dry cleaners and to the video store and to buy some treats from Pantry for dinner with S, I noticed that the shop in question was OPEN! Wheeeee!

In I went. I fondled many things, not all of them in good condition. I tried on lovely hats that just looked like flower pots on my giant jar-head. :( I tried on the delicious kelly green pumps-- and felt like one of Cinderella's sisty uglers, as my bunion prevented all but my toes from fitting in....

I was about to leave. Then I saw it: a lime green 60s slip/nightie. Ooh! And an aqua one, too! Cute! But big. :(

But.....

{Here I must digress a bit. You may be aware that my #1 tried-and-true standby, makes-me-feel-fabulous-even-on-my-very-worst-fat-days dress is my little black vintage slip. It is French silk and lace and cost me a whopping $28 at the Green Room in Stratford. I feel like a sex goddess, but a sophisticated one, in it. I love it. And so you can imagine my overwhelming joy when I noticed that.....}

....there was THIS:




The lace is so fine and so dear and creamy coloured. The colour of the silk is palest, palest pink. Sure, it needs some repairs, but I am handy with a needle and thread (and Speedsew....), right?

So, I shelled out the astronomical price of $20 (!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES! You read that right!!!!!!} and raced home to try it on. I am in love. It is so SJP. It is so Catherine Zeta Jones as Velma Kelly in Chicago-- "I'm gonna rouge my knees and roll my stockings down-- and all that jazz!" Yeah, baby! I AM gonna rouge my knees!


It also looks darling with a cute little cardie I got in the Anthropologie sale room in Boston last year (and with which I had nothing to wear until now! Serendipity, thy name is vintage shopping!)

The best part is, now I have TWO of these slinky little numbers-- a black one and this one, whose colour I have dubbed "champagne pink"! Yes, I can foresee that underwear is going to be a problem and yes, there are a couple of little marks on it that I am going to need to approach with extreme stain-removing caution. But it will all be worth it because there is NOTHING like a little vintage vixen glamour. Just call me "Velma"! (You know I'll answer!)




Viva vintage!


{For better-looking shots, properly edited and cropped, head over here.  }



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is hilarious that YYZ and LHR posted at EXACTLY the same time tonight. EXACTLY. By the way you look so sexy lady in that champagne pink slip wiht your great haircut. Great great buy!

Yes, this is LHR

Anonymous said...

Shoes, in response to telephone query from LHR last night, are 9 West and are one of the MANY purchases I made with the credit note I got after returning the insanely expensive Miss Sixties from Heel Boy. YVR may remember the whole debacle of the $385 shoes from several years back...