Monday, March 30, 2009

...can't trust that day...






Of course you know I spent far too much time over the past coupla days thinking about what I would wear to work today, the first day back after hols. Monday is never fun and Monday after a lovely break is even more cruel, so it is important that a girl feel good about her outfit as the latter serves as kind of Prozac for the soul. ((Except that Prozac is about a phony high and clothes create real well-being....)

I decided I go with one of my standbys, a long-time fave. It would need ironing and involves several layers, so not an easy solution to my "what to wear" quandary, but no matter: I would get it all ready the day before.

Except I got sick the day before and spent it wallowing in self-pity instead of getting ready for work....

Then, suddenly, it was 6:23 a.m. this morning and I was being awakened by a "me-YOWL" from a stroppy feline demanding his breakfast, rather than being awakened by the CBC at 5:50 a.m. NOT an auspicious beginning to the final term.

BUT, unlike LHR, I do not do well under pressure and cannot manage to dream up a new outfit on the spot: once I'm committed, I'm locked in. Which meant my morning was a bit of a sprint of ironing, hair styling, accessory-finding and shoe-grabbing (lack of thought on the latter actually led to an old pair being trotted out-- I forgot how much I liked them!) in order to meet my own expectations. The result was that I did make it to work on time (despite the odds) in an outfit that focused mostly on texture, rather than on colour.

What it entailed:
9 West tweed & patent Mary Janes
Sisley pinstriped skirt with organza ruffle detail at hem
H&M corset
Holt Renfrew Private Label men's-style shirt in satin/flat stripe
H&M oversized rose corsage
Oversized rhinestone earrings (probably also H&M)
Winner's tights


As usual, go here to see properly edited versions of photos. (Am beginning to think the problem is PC-related; will try to publish on the far friendlier Mac next time.)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

PLEASE tell me you didn't also manage to take the photos before you left for work!

I am so embarassed by my "who cares what I'm wearing" morning routine! I am such a wardrobe slacker!!!

YVR

YY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
YYZ said...

No, dear YVR-- photos were a post-work event!

LHR said...

I love the shoes in particular and the new hairdo.

LHR is clearly behind here. I had a good post ready for last Friday around choosing the right shoes. I wish we could make this more up timely. i.e. last Friday I had a great outfit and a choice of 3 pairs of boots and 1 pair of shoots. I don't think any of them WON, but i needed direction dear YYZ

YYZ said...

Hmm. I hate that: often I feel very bad for the shoes I did NOT choose on a given day. It is not always the case that there is clear winner, aesthetically speaking, the problem is that they ALL look great and it's just that a) I only have the two feet, b) I am not quite comfortable enough with my own shallowness to CHANGE my shoes several times throughout the day. Who do I think I am--CHER?

Also, a bit tacky during major recession to be switching up accesssories a la Las Vegas extravaganza--- even if said accessories were BARGAINS....

LHR said...

I would say in this case none of them quite won. I need more shoes I don't quite have the collection you have and strangely I am lacking in black heels... weird.

YYZ said...

Hey! Me, too! I have so many shoes and yet I do not have the perfect, simple black pumps that should form the basis of every woman's shoe wardrobe. I keep looking, but I never find them....