Sunday, June 14, 2009

YYZ: Working for the Weekend


On Friday, we had our inaugural back yard BBQ and the weather cooperated by being just warm enough. These two lovelies showed up looking summery and fresh.

I admire the style of both these women. 
G has two of the most amazing collections and I am green with envy about both of them: she has stunning necklaces and she also has the most interesting, versatile and chic t-shirts I have ever seen. The necklace thing I get: G is a Brit and there are so many cool sources of funky, artisanal jewelry in the UK that it only makes sense that she has so many great pieces. Necklaces are her signature and they always make a statement. The other collection is more mystifying to me. G's tops are incredible because they are a magical combination of simple and clean-lined but they always feature some really great detail like the incredible pleating around the neckline of the one she is wearing above. Every time I ask her where her wonderful top is from, she invariably says, "Oh, I got it at Target," or, "It's a Mossimo," or something similar. In other words, she has a knack for finding the cutest tops (I am completely unskilled in this area) but she does not get them anywhere mysterious at all. She just has an eye for spotting the truly cool t-shirt.... Again, this skill means that G is always truly effortlessly stylish.

[Aside: one day, I promise to get a photo of G's turquoise silk pumps. To. Die. For.]

I also admire J's style. She has a ton of cool vintage stuff and is the queen of shopping at thrift stores and turning up designer gems. The outfit above is typical of her polished, put-together look. Her clothes always have a great story behind them (J, I never did get the story of that sweet dress!); the shoes she is wearing above are very cool and, of course, she got them at some crazy sale of Italian footwear. They are so unusual and interesting and they just really work well with the dress, I think. From what I can tell, J's mum taught her to be stylish and to love beautiful, well-made things. J and I share a birthday and, weirdly, we also both love old stuff, particularly fashion and homewares. We love the history and the craftsmanship. I love that J finds ways to work amazing vintage pieces into pretty much every single outfit I have ever seen her wear in the three years I've known her.


What I admire about these women's approach to fashion is that neither is a slave to fashion, but they are among the most stylish people I know. Their styles, while very different from each other, are confident and suit their personalities completely. I think that is the key to being chic: be confident and know who you are. 
I always feel like I am trying way too hard, but these girls always look effortlessly great.
Blank-ing Blogger cuts off the right-hand side of the photo.
 AGAIN. 
Grr.

No comments: