Thursday, June 11, 2009

YYZ: Don't You Forget About Me

Today's post is about the shoot some colleagues and I were asked to do for the "clubs" page of this year's yearbook, the theme of which was Hollywood. One of the things the girls did was to re-create iconic movie posters (some from as far back as the 80s--talk about ANTIQUE!) using teachers as the subjects.  This is the one for which BMad, our pal T and I were tapped.

Initially, the girls had wanted to do a different pose, one involving leaning on lockers, but the four of us who are of Breakfast Club vintage convinced them that THIS



is the iconic pose and should be the one we recreated.

Talk about Simple Minds:

What is odd is that we were each chosen either for our persona (as perceived by teenaged girls) or for (as in my case and that of the Ally Sheedy stand-in, L) our hair colour/style. But the photo is in black and white, so you cannot see our hair colour or appreciate all the work we  put in to getting our costumes right. I was all worried because Molly Ringwald's skirt was actually a paisely wrap and I was in a brown suede A-line. I must say, the rest of  my outfit was PERFECT, as was everyone's.  When we all caught sight of each other in full costume, we burst out laughing because we were such total geeks about the whole procedure and had made sure to recreate our character's looks as closely as possible.

The girls were WILDLY impressed. 

Anyway, it is too bad that we are not in colour, because the only thing Molly and I share (other than our birth year) is hair colour; in the yearbook photo, I just look like an angry convict, rather than like someone pretending to be Ms. Ringwald.


Viewer discretion is advised: the following is a gratuitous youtube video, totally unnecessary for the content of this post, but included here for LHR's viewing pleasure.


4 comments:

YYZ said...

All I can say is something you already know about me -- The Breakfast Club was one of my favourite movies at the time and still is now.

Since YYZ and I knew each other back when we watched this movie together, she may alos remember how much I wanted boots like Molly's. I still want what I remember them to be.

I love the clip -- Of course I fell in love with Judd and Simple Minds because of this movie.

YYZ said...

I believe the preceding comment was from LHR, not from me (but, really, she is ALSO YYZ, right?).

For this photo, I borrowed a GORGEOUS pair of brown boots from L, the girl portraying Ally Sheedy's character. Her feet are a size bigger than mine, but I LOVE her brown boots and was thrilled to have a chance to wear them! :)

Am bummed that every Molly Ringwald photo I embed ends up disappearing-- apparently she is well-copyrighted!

LHR said...

Can i tell you how many times I ALMOST put YYZ and fixed it at the last minute. You are right I am YYZ. I'm just playing at LHR. My home is definitely YYZ. Oh dear. I am losing it.

BTW, YYZ, I can't wait to update our blog style. I'm looking in to a transfer -- perhaps this weekend. I will consult. Don't worry.

YYZ said...

What do you have in mind, LHR? I am quite cheesed off at having Blogger cut off the right-hand side of photos and videos, so I am READY TO GO! Bring it on, Typepad! Hello, Wordpress! Or WHATEVER! It's been fun, Blogger, but I think I've outgrown you. In short: it's not you, it's me.