Monday, June 8, 2009

YYZ: A Dress So Nice I made It TWICE!

My friend S turned 30 on Saturday. 
She planned and organized a fun party, complete with live band. 
I planned and organized 
(not very well, as it turns out) 
a new/old dress.

This is the second dress I have made from one of my vintage patterns
this time I made it with the circle skirt, in some lovely oldey-timey fabric my wonderful mum bought for me.

I forgot, however, that the first time I made the dress, I altered the bodice because those 50s girls were wearing armour-style underwear that gave them 
TEENY waists 
and 
ENORMOUS boobs, 
proportions that are completely reversed on me.

The dress turned out great. 
The zipper, if I say so myself, looked completely professional, 
as did the lining in the bodice 
(the fabric is very fine and sheer, so I had to line the bodice-- essentially, that meant sewing the bodice twice).

I tried it on.

The boob section was ENORMOUS. 

I had to do it all over again. 
Luckily, my clever mum pointed out that I had plenty of fabric, so rather than taking apart the bodice, I could just make  new one. 
Which I did.
But not before I very very very carefully removed the first one from the skirt-- delicate fabric made for dicey work!

I reattached the new bodice, but the zipper doesn't look 1/100th as good as the first version did. 
Of course.

Now all I need is a fabulous crinoline to really make this dress work! 
(and to make my waist look smaller!)

Here I am, on my way out to S's Birthday Bash:

Belt: Grama
Earrings: Meg
Cuff: H&M
 Shoes: (surprise!) 9 West
Clutch: Danier

Thanks, Mum!

7 comments:

YYZ said...

Here, I am wearing my third pair of green shoes. Thus, we can add "gold" to things that go with green! (In fact, the last time I wore these shoes, I did so with the same gold clutch and jewellery-- to The Red Cat in Chelsea!

LHR said...

I love these shoes. I believe these are the ones you wore with the best vintage dress ever.

BTW i had a few outfits for the blog but i was a tad too drunk to take the pics at the end of the night and was WAY too late on the way out. NYC is a crazy place.

Talk about the shortest skirts EVER and tallest shoes EVER.

The event i was at yesterday had Martha Stewart, Cameron Diaz and Seth Meyers (yes Cameron Diaz is as gorgeous in real life as she is on the big screen).

YYZ said...

Your life is glamourous beyond all reckoning. I <3 New York!

Am gutted that you did not post your outfits, tipsy girl!

(yes, these are the very shoes of which you speak! And not ONE person commented on them or said I looked nice. Sigh. Still, I felt good in that outfit and that is all that really matters! :) ) I made M tell me I looked nice, of course. :)

LHR said...

I'm always a bit gutted when I make an effort and there is silence. J informs me that comments don't need to be made to confirm that I looked nice. But ... still.

In my books, you were fab! I'm sure everyone was so in awe that they couldn't get it past their lips. (they were jealous :)

BTW, it wasn't like i talked to those famous people they just came up on stage in a busy awards ceremony and i saw them from a far... not so glamourous.

YYZ said...

Nothing you can say will ever convince me that travelling to NYC and going to ceremonies and staying in hotels and being tempted by $600 USD shoes is not glamourous. I'm just not buying it, babe.

Thanks for the vote of confidence re: outfit! :) I am a silly, shallow girl.

And proud of it.

Daphne said...

YYZ... this is a gorgeous outfit. I am in awe! Do you remember my one and only sewing effort? A peach flowered flannel nightgown for home-ec? I still remember my mother sewing the bias tape the night before. (I don't even know if that is right... do you sew bias tape? I've blocked out the horrific details). I am fabulously impressed with the dress, the shoes, the gorgeous you.

My shoes may not be green, but I am green with envy over LHR's glamour life. :)

YYZ said...

Daph, you are right: you do sew bias tape. In fact, this dress pattern (being vintage) required the sewing of bias tape. I skipped it. (Probl'y because I did that step TOTALLY WRONG in Home Ec....) As a result, the damn thing may disintegrate, but I suspect not. My mother assures me that the need for bias tape has been expunged by the invention of such clever items as pinking shears and the zig-zag stitch. Sad to think that your Home Ec trauma (I seem to recall you WEARING that nightie....!) was all for naught....

Thanks for the compliment. See? True friends know when to recognize the effort that goes into an outfit! Two of my friends just proved it in these comments.