Tuesday, May 19, 2009

YYZ: Stitch In Time


You have seen today's outfit before, so I thought I would post about how I spent a large portion of my weekend.

I was so excited to get my vintage sewing patterns 

(thanks to my Pattern Mule!) on Friday so that I could start working with my bargain fabrics. 

The sizes of the patterns are too small, so I thought I would have to learn how to enlarge patterns-- thank goodness for the internet and this fantastically helpful link. But when I took the first pattern out of the envelope, it looked like, despite the discrepancy between the measurements listed on the package and my own, the pattern would fit me. 
So, I started out by making a muslin-- a mock-up of the dress made, in this case, out of an old sheet, so that I could see where I'd need to make any adjustments. 
After shortening the bodice a bit, the thing fit, so I went ahead.

I started with the halter "wiggle" dress because I had a small amount of fabric-- too small for the enormous circle skirt on the other version of the dress.

In the end, it was a pretty easy pattern, once I figured out the somewhat complicated neck facing-- sewn by hand-- and shortened the FAR TOO LONG zipper I'd bought.  I did get the bodice a bit too short, so for the next one, I will lengthen it a little bit. (There is probably a happy medium between the original and my shortened version.)

Overall, though, I am pretty happy with the final product:


Late 5os/Early 60s Vintage Butterick Dress Pattern ($20 USD)
Fabric: remnant, $3 per metre = $7
Belt: can't remember, but probably Winners
Shoes: 9 West

Stay tuned for more projects made from vintage patterns!
I'm doing the circle skirt version in the old-fashioned rose pattern next. 
(Fabric a gift from my mum! xx)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!!!! So very impressive!!!! (And not looking at all hobbit-like, I must say - would you stop calling yourself that :)) You are a sewing goddess!!! Wow, again!

-yvr

LHR said...

Beautiful. I must say you are productive YYZ. I can't get my act together to take a photo of a pair of shoes I bought let alone, buy fabric, pattern and sew the dress.

I love the blue leaves and what a deal!

PS great shoes. I don't think i'll be out of tights until August based on the weather here

YYZ said...

Well, LHR, consider the advantages of tights: they are warm, they are stylish, you have great gams...

Now, get off your butt and POST! This blog is starting to feel like a solo effort, making the name of it sort of silly, no?

LHR said...

I will post but probably not until this weekend. My aim is to post weekly. I know last week I didn't so I'm one behind :(

I think I will post my new green shoes which turn out are remarkable in colour (i.e they match little and people remark on them :)

YYZ said...

I am DESPERATE to see those new shoes!

I think you could try to post twice a week. I often write the post when I have 5 free minutes, save it as a draft, and then take/put in the photos later in the day or the next.

You can do it, LHR!