Sunday, May 31, 2009

YYZ: Here Comes the Bride

As you all know, the only reason I can really think of to get married is 
the dress. 
I am not at  all interested in the stress and drama of wedding planning; I know lots of women really love it, but it just makes me tense and anxious. Since tense and anxious are pretty much my usual state of being, I think it is best (for everyone!) not to heighten that in any way. 
But for the right dress, I'd do it. 
Thus, earlier this week,  when the dress of my dreams

 mysteriously disappeared from the display window of the shop who swore they would never sell it, (I suspect that they just meant they would never sell it to ME-- it's that kind of shop. Grr.),  I was (AM, really) brokenhearted.  I am trying to be strong about it, so I tried to think, "Well, okay, no worries. Not like I am getting married anyway and now there's no reason to, as I have nothing to wear..."   
But my brave words are all just a sham. 
I know I will never fully recover.

But,while it does not come CLOSE to my perfect, darling, gorgeous dress-of-my-dreams, this little number just might be thawing my frozen, shattered heart:
Vintage 50s Draped Lace & Tulle Wedding Evening Dress Small bust 37"
Vintage 50s Draped Lace & Tulle Wedding Evening Dress Small bust 37"
Click on over here to see the details (blogger cuts off the first photo, alas), including a photo of the lining
The workmanship is truly incredible-- I'd want to wear it inside out sometimes, just so people could appreciate the skill of the dressmaker.
 Awe-inspiring.

2 comments:

LHR said...

It is beautiful. I love the back in particular.

I have a party coming up where the theme is 30s. So, we need to start to look for a suitable outfit. Also, J will need something to wear as well. It should be fun but I only have a few weeks to get an appropriate outfit. Bring on the inspiration.

Plus if you lived here any day of the week there are clubs/parties etc. that encourage vintage clothing of all dressiness and you wouldn't have to plan the wedding. So, come on over YYZ.

YYZ said...

I love that idea!

Hmm. Check out some of the vintage sites like www.vintagemartini.com. He is based in Texas and, after I bought a pattern from him, I had to call with my Visa # and we are now BFFs after a loong chat. There are links on his site to others and I recommend the one owned by his mum-- it is called something about a "farm".... Both Vintage Martini and his mum have clothes from the 30s, men's and women's, so take a look for some inspiration. Also, check out the Fedora Lounge online-- it's a bit more 40s, but there are 30s things as well.