Friday, May 15, 2009

YYZ: Getting Sorted II

Occasionally I surf on over to coco&kelley, where I found this envy-making post about organizing a closet. 

LHR and I know what it is to live in old houses (83 years, in my case, 100+ in LHR's case) and, while I am not really a "new construction" kinda girl, I do envy my sisters who live in recently-built houses with their de rigueur walk-in closets. 
In our house, for example, my shoes live in the basement (not at all convenient), 
I have hanging stuff in a teeny closet 
(in 1926, people had one good outfit, one for working around the house and one or two for everyday wear), 
plus I have a gigantic, not-terribly-functional or space-appropriate wardrobe thing shoved in the corner of the bedroom with (literally) piles of pjs, undies, socks and t-shirts stuffed willy-nilly inside. 
Sigh.  

LHR does not have a ton of storage space, either, but she has some pretty sexy built-in wardrobes, an ingenious necklace storage idea, plus an open rolling rack and some groovy built-ins, with her shoes in (amazing!) plexiglass boxes.
 {Perhaps she will do a post in which she shows us her storage solutions. Hint.

Both of us are proponents of the vintage steamer trunk school of extra storage.

Here in YYZ land, the room that was, originally, going to become my walk-in closet (swoon!) 
is going to remain our (minuscule) bathroom 
(because the room that was going to be the bathroom has become our home office), 
so I have had to come to terms with the lack of adequate closet space in our house. 
(Maybe M could just keep his stuff in bins under the bed and then I could have HIS tiny closet, too....? Honey?)

So, while I have no real sympathy for the poor reader who is wondering how to make better use of her walk-in (!) closet, there are some good ideas and some inspiring photos in this story.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't think that I'm one of those people with fabulous walk in closets, 'cuz I'm not! I have 622 square feet for all of me - my clothes(winter and summer), shoes, sporty bits and bobs, kitchen accessories, furniture, health and beauty necessities, linenes, computer, officy stuff, files, tools, books, memories, everything - 622 :)Newer places aren't necessarily all that much bigger!!

Good info, tho!

yvr

Anonymous said...

Oops, they're actually linens. I don't have any linenes :)

YYZ said...

No, I know you are storage-challenged, too. Does ANYONE have enough storage space, really? And what does it say about our society if the answer is "no"? Nuthin' good, that's for sure.