Saturday, May 2, 2009

YYZ: Thrills me more than any ghoul could ever dare try

A thrilling Saturday evening chez nous, watching 
one of my favourite movies.  Why do I love it so? 
Well, besides the groovy 80s fashions, here are a few reasons 
(including the fashion memories they inspire in me!):




And, of course, one for LHR. 
(1. MJ won't let us embed his stuff from youtube. 
2. Does anyone else remember the weird "I don't believe in the occult" disclaimer from back in the day? I feel like I don't remember it AT ALL,
but now that I think way, waaaay back, it does seem
familiar. And totally bizarre.)

But, in addition to the music, I think it is the 
HILARIOUS 
sartorial statements from the opening segment, 
when Jenna is 13, that I LOOOOOOVE. 
Now, YYZ & LHR were older than 13 in the year 
in which the film is set, 
but I definitely remember these outfits.  
I think with particular clarity of Chelsea B. doing an 
air-guitar performance as Belinda Carlisle
wearing a royal blue scoop-neck, puffed sleeve t-shirt 
(3/4 lengthsleeves, of course!)
with a royal blue and white striped tiered "mini" 
(I believe it came to-- gasp!-- just above her knee...).  

While LHR and I were attempting to be 
edgier 
at this point in the 80s, 
my good pals C & D were 
VERY
Jenna-esque in their hair and clothes, 
so all of the clothes in the early section 
of the movie are very, very familiar.
So, while the 80s music and clothes 
depicted in the movie 
are not really about our 80s,
the 80s it depicts were all around us and are,
in retrospect, 
sorta charming.

And, because it is a movie whose protagonist 
(how great is 
at convincing us she really IS 13??!)
works at a women's magazine, 
there is a lot of fashion in it.
Thus, it is the perfect subject matter for YYZ-LHR.

I leave you with one final, crucial piece of advice:

4 comments:

YYZ said...

Commenting on my own post, here. For a VERY good reason. Whoever posted the Rick Springfield video on youtube called it "Jessie's Girl". I am pretty sure that the "good friend of mine" in question was a GUY, and not a girl (after all, if Jessie's girl were a lesbian, Rick would not have stood a chance, though it does add a certain poignancy to the song...). Thus, it should say "Jesse's Girl".

It just sticks in my craw to have someone ELSE'S shoddy grammar on our blog. After all, I have enough shoddy grammar of my own, thank you.

Right. Spelling Nazi out.

YYZ said...

Wait-- I think it's shoddy spelling, actually.

LHR said...

We just watched this movie because I was so excited by your post. We loved it :)

YYZ said...

I know! Even M loves it, and not just because his girlfriend J. Garner is in it! :)

I'm so glad you loved it, too!