Saturday, May 30, 2009

LHR: Flouncy Skirt Friday

It wasn't my last day of classes, but we did have an exciting day as it finally felt like the first day of summer. Yay!

Here's the back story of my cute flouncy skirt day.

Last night I started to unpack my summer clothes and what did I find but a skirt with green polka-dots that would PERFECTLY match the green shoes. I had forgotten about this skirt because it has been tucked away all winter. Now I had a perfect match. Oh dear, what to wear up top.

This morning's play by play:
  1. White shirt. Pulls on white shirt and realizes the skirt is oh-so-off white. Definitely can not get away with it.
  2. Looks for navy stretchy tee. Remembers she threw it out last season due to over-wearing
  3. Starts to panic. Decides to iron skirt and contemplate about what to do about the lack of top
  4. Ironing takes an aweful long time as she realizes beaded bits are a bitch to iron
  5. Tries to iron from the inside. Nothing works -- should have steamed skirt.
  6. Time running out.
  7. Hmmm. shirt? Finds another blue shirt. [commentator: Is this colour called Cerulean or teal or what?] She decides to go with it. It isn't exactly the same blue as in the skirt, but feels it works.
  8. Finds a big bobble green necklace (thinks she nabbed it from her Mother's jewellery box years ago) and throws it on.
  9. The outfit seems to work but she remembers that in typical LHR style she has yet to alter the skirt. Used a safety pin instead.
  10. She runs out the door without a coat and realizes that when the sun goes down she'll regret it. So she grabs a wool (yes wool) kelly green cardigan from the 50s. Similar to the skirt the cardigan had lots of embellishments - beads, sequins and pearls. Talk about matchy, but figures it'll work for warmth.
  11. Ta-Dah!
Back to the first person... Later that day, when it was getting cool on the terrace at work, I threw on the crazily vintage cardie. The reaction (at least by one) was -- "oh i like the outfit so much better with the cardigan." Hmmm.

Anyway, I think the skirt is a perfect match for the shoes and the bounciness of the skirt makes me feel rather cute. Take a look for yourself.


Artie shot where all the imperfections disappear.
This was the outfit I wore all day. Realizing I need to do some crunches immediately.
With cardigan



End of day relax.

The details again:
Shoes
: KG - way more details in this post, Liberty's
Skirt
: Eucalyptus, Some shop in London (I think)
Shirt
: Smart Set :)
Necklace: Green Bobble Necklace -Mom's jewellery box (30years ago or so)
Cardigan
: Huppert, 64 Regent Street London (that's what the label says) - Vintage. I can not remember where and when I bought it

5 comments:

YYZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
YYZ said...

YYZ said...
I agree-- this outfit is GREAT!

The shirt is, at least in photos, teal.

The reason someone said s/he liked the look better with the cardigan (which is extremely lust-worthy! Can't wait to borrow it on my year off when I freeload with you two! Sorry, J!) is b/c of the unaltered/safety-pinned skirt. (I have one of those, too!) If the skirt fit at waist, you could tuck in shirt and then wear a wide, cognac-coloured belt to cinch in waist (or that great blue one you got on Ossington!) and then you would look really "finished", even without the cardi. That's all.

Either way, I think it looks great and I bet those KG-squareds are in for a workout this summer, now that you know you have stuff to wear with them! (Bring them in the summer: even though they won't fit, I can tromp around the house in them and pretend they do! :)) )

YYZ said...

Have I told you lately that you have GREAT LEGS?!!! Wow.

LHR said...

As the best stylist ever you are completely correct! I tried the belt, but 3 things stopped me:

1. no appropriate matching shirt
2. my lack of hips means i don't get the cinch effect :(
3. i hadn't altered the skirt :(

I've got so many pieces of clothing that need little alterations i'm tempted to get out my sewing machine...

PS Thanks .. sadly they have cellulite but luckily i can't see the back of my legs :) unless i really try

YYZ said...

LOL! Just looked at the terrace photo and now I can TOTALLY see why everyone thought you were uber-dressed up the other day. Heehee! Still, I think that what I always tell my mum (hi, Mum! I know you're lurking!) applies here: "Just because you live in St. C, doesn't mean you have to DRESS like you do." In other words, dress up if you want, LHR! It's fun and, who knows? You've already inspired Fancy Shoe Fridays, maybe you'll inspire Dress Up Tuesdays!

Re: belt. Okay, I know what you mean about being straight up and down and thus not getting the cinch effect. I feel your pain. I think, however, that the problem can be mitigated by altering the skirt: it can be done so as to enhance the flare of the gathers and then a belt will work.

Also, my current quarry (besides green belt) is a crinoline or two. Ideally, vintage, because the new ones are quite tacky looking. Can you tweet about where to find one, please? (my tweets are not public and I have all of 6 followers, so... : ) Thanks!