Wednesday, May 20, 2009

YYZ: They Call Me Mellow Yellow

(Just giving YVR a minute to recover from her faint and to get up off the floor.....)



Okay-- better, YVR?

One night, after some particularly difficult er, family dynamics, in a small hotel room in Athens, Greece, over a shared bottle of cheap wine (swigged, I believe, directly from said bottle, though perhaps my memory has romanticized that detail...), YVR and I, in between bouts of what M calls "cackling", promised each other that when we each got married (ha!), neither of us would make the other wear either mauve or yellow as bridesmaids.  
Then, we got nicely tiddly and went to bed, though we were, sadly, not tiddly enough to be able to sleep well in what is surely the noisiest city on the planet.

Thus, she will be/is horrified by the title of this post.

But you see, ever since I made these
I have found myself utterly seduced by the pale yellow ones. 

I have nothing to go with YELLOW: wearing yellow makes me LOOK yellow
I am a Celt: we do NOT do well in yellow, believe me. 

But, I've been desperate to wear one.

Then, at my friend S's behest, I headed to the Gap (of all places) last week in search of relatively inexpensive sundresses for the pending trips to Paris and NYC. 
I picked up two. Well, one, really, but in two different colours. 
When one is financially-challenged, one's sartorial purchases need to be versatile, so I chose black and white. I was not sure I'd keep them-- I may still reverse shop the black one. 
But then I figured out a way to wear one of my yellow flowers, in a look incorporating my white sundress and more comfortable shoes than I wore yesterday.

Still a tad concerned that I may be channeling a bumble bee-- what do you think?

Dress: The Gap
Shrug: Smart Set
Flower: handmade by me
Cuff: H&M

{Post script: this outfit garnered many enthusiastic compliments today, so I guess it worked out okay. It was cool and comfy, too, so now I am considering keeping the black version of the dress!)

No comments: