Thursday, May 28, 2009

YYZ: (Bubble) Skirting the Issue

I read somewhere last year that the bubble skirt was SOOOOO last Tuesday, so I slavishly filed this dress away, vowing not to wear it again. 
For some reason, it escaped being relegated to the Value Village bag.

Thus, this morning, when I was completely frantic about finding something to wear, I dragged it out, thinking, "Trends be damned-- I'm desperate!"  
I also convinced myself that bubble skirts are twice-retro: 
1950s AND 1980s, 
two of my favourite fashion eras! 
Yay!
(go here for a fellow blogger's post in which she roundly maligns the bubble skirt and posts photos of some as visual evidence to support her arguments)

In the past, I wore this with leggings (gasp!), but even though the hotly-contested and much-debated Great Legging Ban of 2008 has been frequently flouted by many of my colleagues this year, I am just not ready to die on that particular hill. 
Yet.

I don't like this dress anymore, but I am out of options, so I had to fall back on it.

Green Slingbacks with Kitten Heels (by far the best part of the outfit-- they are lined in green with white polka dots!):  Sirens (I know!)
Dress & Cuff: H&M
Necklace: Cobbled together from bits and bobs in my jewelry stash

(Bad hair day. I hate damp weather.)

4 comments:

LHR said...

YYZ... I'm not kidding I love this dress. How is it a bubble skirt? Perhaps i can't see it in the pic. want more details.

Love it and what does the Sirens (i know) mean?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not getting the bubble part either.

Love the shoes, tho!

YVR

Daph said...

A third voice to say "What bubble skirt"?? But I love the green necklace with the green shoes. You have very fabulous legs. :)

YYZ said...

Yeah, kids, you are right: the bubble-ness of it does not show here. Trust me, it is a bubble skirt: the hem loops up underneath so that the edge does not sit flat, rather it "bubbles". I will post a link to a better photo.

In the interim, the hot skirt this season is the "tulip skirt"-- LHR's today was a bit tulip-esque. I cannot wear the style-- it is best on the very long and lean.