Monday, May 4, 2009

YYZ: Take me out to the Ball Game




Yep, totally struck out today. 
I had this idea yesterday -- I would get to wear my new stockings and also my new(ish) ankle boots. The latter are turning out to have been a 
very bad purchase: 
I have NOTHING with which to wear them, since I do not work someplace where I can wear jeans... And even if I did, the longer I have these boots, the more I realize that they just don't work with anything I own.
Have you ever bought something and then spent weeks/months/years trying to find something to wear with it? I do it all the time, usually because, as is the case here, the item was some kind of bargain. In reality, the bargain ends up becoming the epitome of "false economy" as I spend and spend and spend in vain attempts to fit the supposed bargain into my wardrobe. 
Le sigh.

Back to the situation at hand. 
Today's problem: 
I had a t-shirt, shoes and socks, but no trousers or skirts. 
So I thought I could use a favourite old skirt-- it is faded and I really need a new one, but I can't find a decent replacement. 
(Quick aside:  Have decided to try overdying it-- will lay in supplies this week and see if I can't give it a new lease on life.)

I put it all on and: 
Yuck.
Double yuck. 
Silhouette worked, but colour of skirt was horrid.

Stockings and boots? Great!
Stockings, boots and t-shirt? Great!
All of the above with faded black skirt?
 Hideous. 
Wrong. All wrong.

Now I had an emergency on my hands: 
7 minutes to departure time if I was to make it to work on time = no time to be creative.  
Legs not ready to be bared (thank you, grocery store cashier for NOT packing the self-tanner I PAID FOR, instead leaving it beside the cash-- good thing I did not notice THAT until I got home!) = must wear stockings.   
No time to iron = choices limited to those things not requiring ironing. 
(In the end, this one was really the deciding factor.)

Thus, I ended up in this bizarre combo that is both too matchy and yet, strangely, not at all coordinated. You can see that I have tried to distract from the horror with a bow-detail necklace and my sweet new stockings in the vain hope that these things will keep people from looking below my neck and above my knee. 
But you can also see that this whole thing really just hits a wrong note.  

I look prissy. 

I look confused about what GOES together and what does not. 

I look like I do not have a clue about what looks good.

Oh, well, as Scarlett O'Hara would say, "Tomorrow is another day."
Wish me luck. Clearly, I need it.

Shoes: Go ahead, guess.... Yep, 9 West
Stockings:  Philippe Matignon
Flamenco-ruffled dress & rose cami:  Smart Set
Necklace: Oh, geez, I dunno. Maybe Le Chateau?

(Looking at the list of scary/cheap mall shops above, I suddenly realize that it is NO WONDER I look like crap....)
  

4 comments:

LHR said...

OK, you make me laugh because I can totally relate to buying something and NEVER finding an outfit for it. I have been planning on doing a post about some boots I bought almost 4 years ago and still have not found ANYTHING to wear with them.

While they are out of style I want to immortalize them here. That may be this weekend's post.

As for your outfit today, I think you are being too hard time on yourself (but your prose makes me laugh).

I love love love the stockings and shoes and I do think it works with the dress. However, I personally think the necklace is too cutesy given the stockings ... but I say that because I know you don't want me to say everything's perfect. I had to find something ;)

YYZ said...

Yeah, the whole thing was just bad, bad, bad to the bone. The cutesy necklace is a fair point but I was getting desperate. The one you cannot be when you have the job I do is LATE. Because not being where you are supposed to is VERY BAD in my line of work...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Let's do a joint post in which we show off all the crap we have bought that goes with NOTHING. Skype me on the w/e. :)

xx

LHR said...

That sounds perfect and kind of fun. Plus, then we can do a second post that has the responses -- hopefully suggestions to get at least one wear of said garment.

PS it was not bad. bad bad

PSS I like YYZ as a name better than LHR (perhaps because LHR is too close to my own name)

YYZ said...

Well, really, you are ALSO YYZ, aren't you? In fact, due to your family connections, you are really the original YYZ, and I guess I am really, um.... STC? :)

Yeah, I'm sticking with YYZ....