Wednesday, May 13, 2009

YYZ: Jolie-Laide

This dress has been an ongoing project since I bought it a few weeks ago. 
I think the stench has been removed, so that there will not be a repeat of the 

What appealed to me about the dress is its exuberantly jolie-laide print: it is so ugly that it is actually cute. Even M likes it, though he points out that it is better in person than in the photos.  I like the way it so perfectly captures an era-- the wide collar, the groovy off-centre patch pockets, the garish polyester fabric.... I feel like my glamourous mum at a crazy house party in the glamourous 70s (which is weird because I actually remember the 70s and they weren't all that glamourous in our town...).
Also, it cost $10, so I knew that even if the alterations didn't work 
(read: because my screwing them up was a very real possibility), 
it would not be a tragedy.

The dress was a maxi-dress, direct from the 70s. 
Better still, it was home-made-- the lacy seam-binding, carefully cut-out notches on the seams, covered buttons and hand-sewn domes were evidence of some home sewing maven's handiwork. It reminded me of my mum who, back in the disco decade, sewed a lot of her own clothes, most of mine and my brother's and a whole wardrobe for my Crissy doll. 

Yeah, you remember Crissy and her weird belly-button, don't you?

I digress.

This dress was so long (should have taken a photo wearing it) that it could easily have fit me and LHR together, with one of us sitting on the other's shoulders.  I cut off about 24", in the end, and had to take it apart at the waist in order to shorten the bodice to fit my hobbit-like proportions.

During the alterations, I had some help:




Here it is, all finished. 
What do you think?
I think I need a different belt-- this one felt wrong all day long...

(I didn't wear the cardigan, in the end-- it was too sausage-y 'round the middle.)


Shoes: Report
Dress: Rozaneh 
Cardi: Jacob
Belt: ??
Earrings: Ardene. Yeah, I know.
Cuff: H&M

5 comments:

Daphne said...

I am your blog LURKER! Which is okay, I think, since I have known the two of you for all of your 29 year friendship. :)

I found you through Lisa's Facebook page and spent the weekend in rapt OBSESSION catching up on three months worth of fashionista bravado. I love it. It makes me happy just to see the two of you, looking so incredibly gorgeous. I am in envious admiration.

I'm a devotee now. So keep up the posts!

YYZ said...

LOL! Daph! You even got a mention in the "13 Going On 30" post!

How the heck are you?

On the off chance someone else reads this blog (who am I kidding?!), go through L's Facebook page to get my email so we can catch up. :)

Maybe your comment will encourage Sinclair (our other lurker) to comment, too! :)))

YYZ said...

PS-- thanks for the compliments-- we love doing this silly little blog. Hee!

LHR said...

Hey YYZ. It looks great. I like it without the cardie. You are inspiring me to get out my sewing machine. We have decided to have a stitch and bitch (with pimms) at work. I've decided I'm going to give my hand at alterations. eek!

YYZ said...

Let me remind you: you DID win the Home Ec award in Grade 8, so you are MORE than ready to dust off those sewing skills!

Maybe save the Pimms for celebratory post-alterations drinks...

Anette and Amelia are coming over on the w/e and I plan to entertain them in the sewing room: tea and cookies and girly chat (while Amelia plays with Zen.)