Thursday, April 23, 2009

YYZ: Serendipity?

Right, while writing today's outfit post, I wandered around to find the web address for the place I'd bought my groovy top hat. I was, I admit, kind of surprised that the place even HAD a web presence-- if you've ever shopped there and met Marilyn, you'll know why.  She is like a character in a movie or, better still, a novel. Gravelly-voiced, chainsmoking, and a bit kooky, she runs a store whose wares run the gamut from garbage to truly divine and amazing vintage.... well, everything.  The place looks like a bomb went off, spewing an array of moth-eaten junk and real treasures.  It smells like an ashtray. 
(When you look up "chainsmoking" in the dictionary, you will find Marilyn's photo.)

Anyway, after drafting up the post, I clicked through to be sure the link worked.  It did.  And it took me to a notice saying that the store was going to close!  The rent had been raised and she was clearing the place "to the walls".  
I was distraught!  
And thrilled: DEALS! 
There were DEALS to be had!

So, a quick prayer of thanks to Serendipity and I was off like a shot after work. I managed to last about 45 minutes before the smoke drove me out.  
In that time, I flirted with a navy and white silk polka dot faux Victorian number (moth-eaten = NO WAY am I bringing that into our house!), 
a 60s organza/stripe sundress, 
several delicious fur-collared coats, 
a 1920s handpainted silk skirt (too long and un-alterable, so not meant to be...), 
a 1930s straw hat that actually quite suits me, 
two linen pillowcases, 
a string of pearls and crystals 
and several handbags.  
I may go back for the some of the above...

What I DID leave with: 
an unbelievable quilted 1950s circle skirt-- looks like it has never been worn; 
pale lemon-coloured gauntlet-style gloves from the 40s; 
a 70s maxi-dress in a crazy floral.  

No photos yet because all has been whisked into a bag and sealed up for a trip to the dry cleaners; it smells so terribly smoky that it is unwearable in its current state.  
But once I get it all cleaned up,  and get the maxi-dress shortened, I will show you here.  

In the meantime, cross your fingers that the hat and the pearls will still be there when I go back tomorrow with more cash!

No comments: