Sunday, April 5, 2009

Inspiration for LHR

Have often thought (and said) that I was born in the wrong era. It seems that, with the exception of the 80s, I have missed out on all the truly dramatic eras in fashion (and even the 80s was not exactly glamourous-- not in the way the 40s or 50s or early 60s-circa-Madmen were...). I remember once getting in trouble from my  mother for moaning about not having lived in the 40s; she told me to smarten up. Didn't I realize that there was a terrible WAR on in the 40s? That millions of people died?
 
Um, gulp, yes, I guess I did know that, I said; it's just that I was only (foolishly, superficially, as ever) thinking about the clothes, the hair, the music, the dancing....

Anyway, LHR's last, jealous-making post about the fantastic evening of burlesque (makes me want the burlesque bar on Ossington to succeed, despite the dark and nefarious presence of creepy 905 clubland entrepreneurs it represents...), made me think that maybe we should consider adding posts about our fashion inspiration.

Here is one of my seminal fashion influences-- set in the 30s, but film made in the 60s= intoxicating glamour not remotely dulled or dimmed by hilarious Austrian tour guide, Peter (a.k.a. AH-nold) on Sound of Music tour with YVR...

But also, what about these amazing, glorious 40s  and 40s-inspired babes? Girls like Dita-- who is perfection personified. Or Rita, whose gorgeousness knows no bounds? What about sort-of-intimidating-yet-glamourous Joan? Who else? Tell us in your comments!



2 comments:

LHR said...

Have you been to the said burlesque club? Shall we go when I come home this summer?

YYZ - you really are hilarious. The great thing is that you can still wear clothes from those other eras NOW and you do draw upon them all which is even more exciting than living during that time.

Love the video and am inspired to buy nice underwear ;)

YYZ said...

I am SO up for an evening of burlesque while you are here!