Monday, April 6, 2009

YYZ: Blue Monday


Today's get-up is not too different from one of last week's-- in fact, as I work on this blog, I realize that I basically wear the same two or three variations of outfits... Hmm. May have to work on this somewhat problematic aspect of persona as a fashion-oriented type. I think I DO tend to wear pretty boring stuff, relying on shoes and accessories to trick the eye into thinking I've done something fancy. I work somewhere VERY conservative, so often I can't wear what I really want to and I think that is why I have adopted the shoe/accessory approach.
But I digress. Back to the topic at hand:

Today things began with a bit of crisis (yet to be resolved, it turns out): I could not find the black turtleneck I wanted (still no sign of it....). I was on deck to drive BMad to work, though, so there was no time to dilly-dally.
I was faced with a choice: dream up new outfit from scratch (not appealing after a bad night's sleep), or sub in something else in place of the missing turtleneck. The thing is, I have only one other black turtleneck and it is a ratty old Joe Fresh, $19 thing from their first season. In other words, not built to last. It's all faded and pilled and generally looks totally disreputable. I only keep it on-hand for skiing type activities-- under a fleece. Hidden from view.
But, desperate times call for desperate measure and I had no choice:
time was running out.
So, against my better judgement I wore it and, even though two other components of my outfit are among my current faves, not even those wicked tights and oversized corsage could lift me out of feeling frumpy and ugly all day, all thanks to having had to wear
the
WRONG
top.

Shoes: 9 West
Tights: Bebaroque, gift from LHR
Skirt: Jacob
(this time with the belt that came with it--kinda cool because it fastens in back)
Mock turtleneck (how 80s!): Joe Fresh
Giant corsage: Le Chateau (!)
Head over here for better colour and cropping.



2 comments:

LHR said...

OK first off. You may have felt "off" but you look AMAZING. I think this is my favourite outfit so far. I love the length of skirt, tights, corsage and shoes. For a rather conservative workpace you surely don't dress conservatively. I love the corsage. I definitely don't have the same courage you do. I would never wear that. I'm finally getting the courage to wear my orange mini to work. Granted everyone at my work wears Threadless Tees and jeans and when I mean everyone I mean everyone.

I love the tights if I do say myself :) I'm glad they are getting worn and looking fabulous.

I do know what you mean about old tops though. At least in the pics you can't see.

I'm realizing that the reason I don't post everyday has more to do with the fact I only have one outfit a week worth posting. So dear YYZ and readers I'll try to post questions instead.

YYZ said...

Thanks, dude. I felt really yucky and wrong in that outfit, which is sad because the corsage and tights are actually quite fierce. I just did not feel that I was living up to them.

Have tried harder today-- stay tuned!

Have you bourght (as Mellie would say) those shoes yet? What are you waiting for????