Tuesday, April 14, 2009

YYZ: Heading into spring


Heading into spring, originally uploaded by OblioZen.

This week, it seems spring might finally arrive. In the past, I have not been a fan of mixing wintry and springy weight fabrics, but just as dark tights with light shoes have been growing on me lately, so has the whole mixed-weight approach to transitional dressing.

And I love this skirt.

So, I decided to go for it and mix up the seasons a bit, even though doing so meant a rummage through the cedar chest to find the skirt in among my summer clothes.

I started the day with a very wide belt-- a good 4" wide, in fact. But I just end up feeling like the belt is wearing me because I am so short-waisted that it looks more like a shelf for my boobs than an actual belt. I'm no stylist, but I'm pretty sure the latter is not a look anyone should try to carry off...

Shoes: the usual
Tights: um, my tights suitcase...? Maybe Winners?
Skirt: Zara
Belt: maybe Winners?
Turtleneck: this is the one that eluded me last week! Winners
Giant black rose corsage: H&M

More? Over here.

2 comments:

LHR said...

My theory is that the more you see something the more you might like it. Remember we said we would never wear bell-bottomed or wide trousers. Then, what did we do in the 90s? You guessed it.

I feel that way about dark tights/light shoes. Sadly, I sometimes ask J if he thinks they work but he says no. Then I tell him look around you! Everyone in London is doing it.

I like them. I also am loving your corsages. I'm thinking i might get out all my old broaches again.

YYZ said...

Yes! Every time a new trend comes along and it makes me wrinkle my nose in distaste, I always think of our passionate anti-wide pant stance and of how quickly it all washed down the drain once we'd been indoctrinated by the media....

Definitely get out the brooches. One way I like to imagine wearing them is on belts- but I am not tall enough to pull it off. Still, I love the idea of a skinny belt with a row of corsages or vintage brooches lined up (2-3) to one side of the buckle. OR, wear the buckle at the back and the brooches off-centre in the front. Cool!

M also nixes the dark tights/light shoes thing, but he doesn't always get a say, as you and he both know. :) After all, fashion IS danger!