Wednesday, April 22, 2009

YYZ: Blooper


A new pose!, originally uploaded by OblioZen.

Ever have one of those days when you leave the house thinking, "Yeah, I got it together today! This look works!" but by the end of the day you can't wait to RIP OFF that same outfit because it makes you feel ugly and frumpy? I had that day today. This outfit is a transitional re-mix: strapless dress and cardi for warmth. Different stockings and shoes than I usually wear with it. I left home thinking, "Ooh! Why haven't I put this together before??"

(Short/partial answer: I did not own these shoes last spring, I bought them during a mad spree with LHR in NYC in the fall...)

But the thing is, I should have gotten rid of this dress ages ago. 
It has never really fit properly and, to make matters worse, the hip/butt area starts off the day a bit too big, but it just GROWS over the day as the cotton relaxes and stretches. I know this about it and I always think to myself, "Self, get rid of this cheap-ass dress that does not fit well." But then, when I am not wearing it, I am always seduced anew by the sweet toile-inspired pattern (fountains and birds!) in my favourite cream/black colour scheme. I forget about/decide I can live with the bad fit.

By the end of the day, the dress, much like the Grinch's heart, had grown three sizes. 

And I felt frumpy. 

When I walked, the cotton of the dress stuck to my stockings, causing it to ride up in stiff, bunchy lumps around my middle. 

Ugh. 

Taking these photos today confirmed it all: NOT a flattering look, regardless of how much I liked it all when I put it together this morning.

So, I have decided: I will take in the hips/bum region of the dress and give it one more chance. If it does not make me happy the next time I wear it, off to Goodwill it goes.

I swear. 

Or maybe I will make it into something new....

Stockings: Secret
Dress: Le Chateau 
(why am I surprised that it does not fit properly?)
Belt: Femme de Carriere, remixed from another dress
Cardigan: Jacob
Earrings: Gift from LHR


2 comments:

LHR said...

These photos don't seem to support your concerns. You look sexy YYZ... However, I can't see the derriere.

YYZ said...

It's no accident that the derriere is not in view, believe me. There ARE photos to support my concerns, but I was not about to post them....