Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LHR: Dressing Like YYZ Today

After the chastizing from YYZ, I knew I had to get my act together and post an actual outfit. Plus, I needed to be quick as I had a dentist appointment at 9am and could not be late. So, I thought to myself "what would YYZ do?" I ended up with these 5 steps:
  1. Start with the dress
  2. Add colour through tights
  3. Grab some Mary Janes or a Peak-a-boo toe shoes - or both :)
  4. Thread it together with matching colourful accessories
  5. Ta-dah, I'm done!
I tried this approach. However, now that I see the photos I'm thinking I went too far with the tights and as a result my matching accessories were not so matching. Oh well, next time.

Here's the elements and photographic evidence.
I think some of it works and some could be improved but that is the point of the blog (at least for me).

1. Start with the dress.
What better dress to choose than one that was a castoff by YYZ herself. This little brown wool number is from Zara. I love the fact that it looks good with and without a belt and I never feel fat in it. Thanks YYZ!

Here's another shot - gratuitous I know. I just had to put this shot in as I discovered if you shoot yourself from above, on an angle and suck in at the same time, it makes you look like a twig. [Can everyone please look at me from above on an angle through a camera from now on?]

2. Add colour through tights
I was going to pick pink, but then was inspired by YYZ's blue tights. So I went with blue [plus I couldn't find my pink ones]
I'm not sure the blue tights and belt work. It is important to note that I believe my tights are brighter in these photos due to flash, but they are definitely royal blue and the belt as you see below is a dark dark blue almost black.

3. Grab some Mary Janes or a Peak-a-boo toe shoes
I grabbed these cowboy inspired wedges that blend nicely with the brown flecked wool of my dress. I've had these babies for some time. They're by Seychelles (whoever?). I believe (YYZ correct me please) that I bought them at Winners with YYZ. Have you noticed a theme in my posts? All I have to say is thank Godess for YYZ.
4. Thread it together with matching colourful accessories
I chose this belt trying to be a bit French (not matchy matchy), but I think the navy and the royal just clash. However, the tortoise shell/bakelite buckle and bangle at least connect those elements.

The belt I bought on
Ossington at I MISS YOU with you guessed it -YYZ. The bangle I picked up for £5 ($10 Cdn) which I thought was a good price at a stall in Broadway Market a month or so back.
The earrings may have been that extra accessory too many are hand-threaded discs that I bought with BMAD in NYC at a small jewellery shop in Tribeca back in '07.

There you go. Done. Wow, that took a lot of effort. All I want to know is if YYZ has any new castaways for me? I do love this dress.

PS. I just thought that perhaps someone out there who doesn't know us will fall upon this blog and pronounce my Best Friend why-why-zee, but please don't she is why-why-zed.

1 comment:

YY-ZED said...

WOW!!! This is a GREAT outfit! NOT because of my role in much of it (shoes are from Designer Depot, actually), but because you wear the whole shebang in a way that I could never manage: You've got FLARE, baby! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this outfit! Definitely put it in the roster as a standby/go-to. It is soooo great.

Tights and belt are perfect: not matchy-matchy, just stylish. I wish The Sartorialist could see you: he'd absolutely take your photo!

Bravo!

And thanks for the HOT tip about how to look like a twig! Zowee! (of course, you are twig-like to start with, but it might help your pudgier sisters ,too!)