Friday, April 17, 2009

YYZ: Shocker



Today I lost count of the number of people who said something along the lines of, 
"You're wearing PANTS! You NEVER wear PANTS!
(no, not British pants- those I do wear every day)

I also got one shocked, "You're wearing COLOUR!"
 (Which I resent: I wear colour every day. 
With black. 
Or grey
Which IS  a colour, btw.)

But it's true. I don't wear trousers to work very often. This stems partly from my own insecurities about my midsection and the dearth of trousers that effectively camouflage it, and partly from the fact that I am short. The latter means that shoes/hem lengths can be problematic-- once I hem a pair of trousers to work with a specific pair of shoes, then I can only wear those trousers with those shoes, thereby limiting the versatility of trousers.  It is easier for me to mix it up if I wear skirts or even dresses.

Today, I am wearing my fierce, fabulous black trousers from Theory-- a major splash-out as part of a binge for the Big Birthday in NYC (thanks, M!)-- and my new ode-to-spring top. 
It's supposed to be 20 degrees today!  

The trousers were a "must buy" because I find it so hard to find ones the right shape:  these are perfect and they are 3-season fabric (a very light wool blend).  They are, however, still too long, so I can only wear them with these (very very very high) shoes.  I thought I should get a wear in now, before it gets too warm to wear these shoes.  The cardigan does not really work that well with the look, but given the low morning temperature, it was a necessity. 
Also, I am a big fan of covering my arms. The top was overpriced, but I loved it and can imagine wearing it in a gazillion ways. 
(Does it remind LHR of the one I made in Home Ec in Grade 9?and wore with my knee-length denim, overpleated, not-quite gauchos/not-quite knickers? Gawd....)

Cardigan: Jacob
Trousers:  Theory
Shoes: Yeah, you know which ones they are. 
(Hard to believe I have as many pairs as I do: I keep wearing the same ones... Lazy.)

Later, we are going to friends' for dinner and I will wear the top and cardi with skinny jeans and either


OR...



You know where to go to see more. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better than my jeans and black turtleneck choice today. I'm such a west coast shrub!

I actually shocked my co-workers and students yesterday with . . . are you ready for it . . . a dress! I got a lot of "Teacher . . . date?"

As for this evening's 'accessory challenge', I'm favouring the white set 'cause I love those shoes!

YVR

YYZ said...

Thanks, dude-- I like those shoes, too! They may be the better choice b/c I suspect we'll be outside and my tootsies will get chilly if I go with the sandals...

Wanna do a guest post? If so, email me and I will give you the log-in info so you can be our Remote Poster out there in YVR!

YYZ said...

In case anyone was wondering: I took YVR's advice and went with the modified spectator/saddle shoe/jazz oxfords and the white accessories. And it was so warm that I didn't even wear socks!

Bring on SPRING!

(Oh, and dinner was lovely: great food and company and a fun time spent playing with Justine's hat collection. LUST for the vintage YSL oversized "pie plate" beret!)