Sunday, April 5, 2009

LHR: Not Quite Burlesque. More Bedroom Boudoir

YYZ is correct I am a bit slow to post but had a busy day uploading some of my shots from the Burlesque Festival. Here is one to get you inspired:

It was one of the Easter Parade Girls. The whole evening was fabulously delicious. There was so much great eye candy in clothing and looks. The whole crowd made an effort. Of course some looked rather tacky but there were a few women in particular that were pin-up 40s all the way.

My own look took a slightly different look. I listened to YYZ (sort of) advice when she said it was about cleavage. I didn't wear the said dress she suggested as I was without a cropped jacket which I thought would differentiate said dress from how I would wear it to a wedding. So, I went lace and lounge wear.

I won't say it was perfect and frankly YYZ would love your thoughts on how I could take the basics and add/subtract to make it better.The Final Look

The Cleavage

Here are the details:
  • black camisole
  • floatie bedjacket (not really bedjacket). I bought with YYZ a few years ago at MALL. I always say I hate malls but this was a good choice
  • Armani Black tights from Vente Privee (sadly, I put a run in the toe!) Notice the lace detail at the ankle. They are made to look like tights with stockings underneath
  • black shoes - can't remember where i bought them. Nothing special really but they do have a bit of sequin details on them
  • black satin neck tie fixed with an antique gold pin I was given as a child from my grandparents
  • thick tortoise shell bracelet. I threw that on at the last minute as J decided it softened look
  • Gold tassle earings bought on eBay
  • my jacket was my new custo Barcelona bought in NY with YYZ in Nov. 08. I'll feature it in an upcoming post so you will see
I really would like suggestion comments on how you would work with at least the top to make this a better outfit.

2 comments:

YYZ said...

First of all, fashion IS danger and you have managed to escape gracefully and unscathed! I LOVE this look and would not change one thing about the outfit. In looking at various deliciously 40s-inspired bits and bobs about the interweb recently, here is what I have learned (and no, it is not earth-shattering news):

To really work the whole 40s thing, it is all about hair and make-up. Pale, porcelaine, perfect skin (that lets me out) and that incredibly sleek, waved, "set" hair. You can succeed at both, LHR-- in fact, you were MADE for this era: perfect skin, the ideal hair to hold the style (though it will take some time and some product), fab legs, tiny waist and broad shoulders. You go, girl: give Dita and Rita Hayworth a run for their money!

You look truly fabulous in that outfit! TRULY.

LHR said...

You are right about the hair!! I think i might try and get mine styled some where I would have NO idea how to do it.

On a side note, we were out at Columbia Road Flower Market yesterday and this gorgeous 40s girls walked past -- sure enough it was the girl with the red hair in my pics.