Friday, April 24, 2009

YYZ: If I Were a Boy


This being the second consecutive Friday on which I have worn trousers, I thought people would be inured to the shock of it, but lots of people still expressed surprise to see me in something other than a skirt or dress.

Hmm. 
 "Menswear-inspired" is a buzzword floating around the fashion ether these days.

It's a trend I admire, but from afar:  
It is a trend geared toward the tall and willowy among us, thus not suitable for the likes of me.  Menswear looks generally involve lots of volume on top (NOT good on me) and a certain squareness of shape (also NOT good on me, given that square is pretty much my natural shape-- no point in accentuating it).  
If I try to do menswear, I end up looking like a Hobbit.

Today, however, I thought I'd give it a whirl.  
I love these trousers, though I am never sure how to wear them. So I opted for volume on the bottom in my swishy, wide-legged trousers, but went with a more fitted, feminine top that still gives a nod to the spirit of menswear: cuffs (but loosely pleated and sort of romantic), collar, front placket (but ruched for fit and girliness).  

Frankly, I think the photo above is a pretty good indicator of why the whole menswear thing is not for me. 
Short, roundish types should avoid trousers, it seems.
To be fair, these ones are actually quite gorgeous, but I spent the afternoon sitting in a stuffy room, on a plastic chair, getting my trousers all rumpled and shapeless while contemplating how much more fun it would be to be shoving bamboo shoots under my fingernails...  Thus, the trousers are not looking their best, I must admit. They looked pretty chic when I left the house this morning, but you'll just have to take my word for it.

Anyway, they cost the earth and, as long as I don't have to see what I look like in them, I'll keep wearing them, but on the whole, I think I'll leave the whole trouser thing to LHR, who looks FANTASTIC in them.

Top: H&M
Belt: Brave 
(Check them out: not only do they make gorgeous belts, 
they have a great company philosophy, too!)
Trousers: Holt Renfrew Private Label 
(R.I.P.-- I still can't believe they discontinued this line!)
Stiletto T-straps:  Tahari
Earrings: gift from LHR

Shoes visible here.


No comments: