Wednesday, June 10, 2009

LHR: Fashion in 2000 AD

A few weeks back, I attended the Stephen Jones Hat exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum. I plan on writing an entire post dedicated to that exhibit. (I bought a book so I have some content as cameras were not permitted).

At the exhibit, which was amazingly curated and artfully displayed, there were little snippets of the Fashion Television of the 1930s and 1940s. It was called Pathetone Weekly. I loved the old footage, the announcer with the voice (eat your heart out Jeanne Beker) and of course the hats. Then, by coincidence my sister-in-law, sent me this video from the same producer and vintage.
I knew it was perfect for our YYZ-LHR. In fact, so did she that's why she sent it. Thanks J!.

This video takes the bold step and asks fashion designers back in the day what fashion will look like in 2000. Now that we are 9 years in to the naughties, what do you think? I love the cantilevered shoes. I also like the absurdity of a mesh top -- it'll never happen!


1 comment:

YYZ said...

That is FANTASTIC! I can't believe how accurate the predictions were! I also love the cantilevered heels-- a perennial favourite-- but my favourite is the dress with the zip-off sleeves to transform the look for evening. Also, can we talk about the gorgeous make-up?

I am off to find MORE Pathetone on youtube--I can see it becoming an addiction!

(Also, the announcer is the bees' knees!)