Tuesday, June 16, 2009

YYZ: The Least Wonderful Day of the Year

Exam Take-Up Day. 
(Interestingly,-- well, okay, I think it's interesting!-- as part of my CBC habit, I was listening to Rex Murphy talking about linguistics and it turns out that "taking up a test/exam" is an Ontario thing. People in other parts of the country, apparently, do not know what that means. Rex certainly didn't. It means, in case you are in the dark with Rex {THERE'S a thought!} to go over the test with the class and to find out what the right answers were.)

Anyway, Exam Take-Up Day is not my favourite day. Thus, I needed to be comfortable. 
The outfit I ended up in was cobbled together at the last second because the one I had planned involved the same trousers, shoes and belt, but the top I had chosen was too short and just looked wrong.

This is not my favourite outfit (appropriate, then, that I wore it on not-my-favourite-day), but it got me through the Exam Take-Up portion of the festivities as well as a marathon 3 1/2 hour sewing club final session in the afternoon.

Shoes: 9 West
Trousers & long silk shirt: H&M
T-shirt: Smart Set
Belt: Um, Winners
Earrings: Sirens

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm . . . while I do (even though I'm a westerner) understand that expression, I wonder if my years at U of O would be the reason. I can't say I've ever used it with my own students. They would be confused.

YVR

YYZ said...

Weird, right? Daph, are you out there? Do you use it? (or maybe not, since I can't really remember doing tests at university....)

I am glad my teacher friend also thinks it's interesting! :)

Daph said...

I do not call it "exam take up day" but I do announce that I will "take up the exam" in a certain class and I've never had someone ask me what that means. (But then law students would be LOATHE to admit they didn't know what something means and especially when the word "exam" is in the sentence.)

LOVE the long silk shirt. :)

YYZ said...

LOL! You just described my students, too! Many of them would also NEVER admit not knowing what something means, a tendency that can be to their detriment....