Tuesday, June 16, 2009

YYZ: Pomp & Circumstance

Graduation ceremony today. 
Which required the wearing of something suitably formal, but also cool: we wear academic robes (with a heavy polyester component!) and hoods and sit inside a huge plastic tent on plastic chairs for three very long hours. 

No one sees our clothes, so we COULD just wear our 'jammies, but for some reason, we wear appropriately graduation-y clothes. 
The latter need to be cool enough to keep us from expiring in the suffocating and claustrophobic environment, so I try to wear a sundress so that I can take off my cardigan (a la Jennifer Beals, under my academic gown-- luckily NO ONE is looking at the teachers and I can do this unnoticed....).  
I also try to wear wedge heels, as they are better for walking across the grass than are stilettos.

The sunglasses are in case I get seated in a spot where the sun is shining in my eyes, under the sides of the tent.  
Also, one could have a snooze behind her glasses if she wanted ... I have never done so, but I know several of my colleagues wear sunnies for just that purpose!

Shoes: Target
Dress: Gap 
(It stretched oddly in the wash-- I am NOT amused by the poochy thing it is now doing as a result. Will dry it in the dryer next time to see if that helps...)
Shrug: Smart Set
Cuff: H&M
Earrings & Shades: Ardene
Purse: Suzy Shier

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I stopped buying pants at the Gap because of the waistline/butt bag out factor. I'm sad to see a dress doing the same thing :( Especially such a nice dress - simple, elegant, dress up/dress down . . .

yvr

YYZ said...

Yeah, it is HUGELY disappointing-- it looked GREAT when I bought it.... I am a bit concerned about drying it (and its white sister) in the dryer because I am afeared the bust region will shrink... But I can't take it IN because there is a side zipper and the only place it would make sense to take it in is along the side.... Wish me luck. I had planned on making these two dresses my "uniform" this summer for the very reasons you state in your comment...